- 2 chipotle chiles, stems and seeds removed, diced(I used a can of Chipotle in Adobo sauce and froze what i did not use for this recipe)
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted cumin seeds, freshly ground
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cubed OR 1 Deli roasted Chicken, chicken shredded
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 3 cups shredded queso fresco
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Sour Cream and Cilantro to top
Directions1. Combine the chiles, garlic, chili powder, cumin, chicken broth, tomato sauce, salt and pepper in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Set aside until ready to use.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
3. Cook Chicken in frying pan with oil IF not using Deli Chicken. Saute the chicken until cooked through, approximately 7 to 9 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and place in a medium bowl.
4. Add the onions to the same pan along with a generous pinch of salt, decrease the heat to medium-low and sweat for 4 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and oregano and cook until the onions are tender, 2 to 3 minutes more. Add the chicken back to the pan and remove from the heat.
5. Spray a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish with non-stick spray. Place 1/2 cup of the sauce into the bottom of the dish. Dip 4 tortillas into the remaining sauce and lay them into the bottom of the dish. Cut 1 of the tortillas in half to evenly cover the bottom of the dish. Top this with half of the chicken mixture and 1 cup of the cheese. Starting with 4 more tortillas, repeat the layers, ending with the last 4 tortillas on top. Pour remaining sauce over the dish and top with remaining 1 cup of cheese.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven on the middle rack for 30 minutes.Remove the foil and bake an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese on top is bubbly.
Take dish out of oven and rest at least 15 minutes before eating. Serve with sour cream and cilantro in small bowls for toppings.