Thursday, August 14, 2008

Beef Enchilada Casserole

I don't think I have ever made beef enchiladas before. But on Sunday I was getting ready to prepare dinner, and I had bought tortillas but did not have any chicken on hand. I did however have some lean ground beef I had bought for taco salads. (You can also use ground turkey but I could not find any at the store that day). Anyways, I couldn't find any recipes that I liked so I just got some ideas and created my own thing. And luckily, it was, fast, easy, and turned out fantastic! Yay!

Here is what I did:

Ingredients,
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 pkg. taco seasoning
1/4-1/2 cup chopped onion (I used yellow)
2 cloves minced garlic
1 can mild enchilada sauce
1 can green chilies
Shredded cheese of choice (I used colby jack)
6 ten or 12 inch Tortillas of choice (We used flour)

Directions:
Brown beef in oil, follow directions on taco seasoning pkg. Add chopped onion, garlic and chilies to the pan during the last five minutes or so of the meat cooking. Place two tortillas in a 13x9 inch pan, so it covers the bottom of the pan. Pour some enchilada sauce over the tortillas, spread it around with a spoon to cover the tortillas, put about half the meat mixture over the sauced tortillas, spread the mixture so its even. Sprinkle cheese to cover everything. Then put two more tortillas down, spread sauce over again, Put the rest of the meat mixture over that. Sprinkle with cheese again. Finally, put two more tortillas down, spread sauce over again and sprinkle all over with cheese. Cover with foil and cook at 35o degrees F for about 45 -50 min.
Voila! This dish is full of flavor! We ate it with a side alad and some raspberry lemonade I believe. We had leftovers and they were even better the next day!

No comments: