20 min | 10 min prep
Hint: measure dry ingredients in "heaping" not flat measurements.Do not attempt to flatten the dough balls. They will flatten beautifully on their own and make that wonderful cracked look.
And finally, just like the recipe reads, bake until almost set. They're perfect when they still look a little wet in the center. These cookies firm up as they cool down. Over baking them, even just a couple of minutes, will make them crumble quicker later on.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix butter, 1 1/2 cups sugar and eggs thoroughly in a large bowl.
- Combine flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl.
- Blend dry ingredients into butter mixture.
- Chill dough, and chill an ungreased cookie sheet for about 10-15 minutes in the fridge.
- Meanwhile, mix 3 tablespoons sugar, and 3 teaspoons cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Scoop 1 inch globs of dough into the sugar/ cinnamon mixture.
- Coat by gently rolling balls of dough in the sugar mixture.
- Place on chilled ungreased cookie sheet, and bake 10 minutes or until almost set.
- Remove from pan immediately.