I remember Mom (Elaine) making this when I was young. The reason I remember it so well is because just before she would take it out of the oven she would say -" Shhhhhh, you have to whisper when this comes out of the oven so it won't fall"
If you want to watch how this goes together you can visit this You Tub site - but follow my recipe instead of there's. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD3-ttc39uA
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. flour
1 t salt
1/2 tsp dry mustard
dash cayenne red pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly butter a 1 1/2 to 2-quart soufflé dish.
- Melt butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add flour, salt and hot pepper sauce and whisk constantly for 1 minute; mixture should bubble but not brown. Continue whisking while adding milk in a slow, steady stream. Cook until thick, whisking occasionally; do not boil. Add cheese and remove from heat (cheese should not be totally melted).
- Whisk egg yolks in a small bowl. Pour directly into saucepan, whisking constantly until well combined; set aside.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a medium bowl until stiff peaks form. Gently fold about 1/4 of the egg whites into cheese mixture to lighten. Fold in remaining whites.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until puffed and golden. Serve immediately.
Submitted by Shauna Oakes