I recently learned how to make lasagna and have been making it a lot lately using the jumbo tubs of cottage cheese from Costco. But I have been getting tired of eating the same texture all the time. So I decided to switch it up a little.
-2 cups uncooked penne pasta
-1 lb ground italian sausage
-1 (26 oz) jar favorite spaghetti sauce (ex. Garlic and onion, traditional, whatever)
-1 1/2 - 2 cups cottage cheese
-2 cups divided shredder mozzarella cheese ( I also add a little parmesan cheese as well)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 2.5 quart baking dish.
2. Boil noodles until tender. Drain.
3. Cook and stir the ground sausage, turkey, whatever, in a large skillet over medium heat until browned. Drain the fat from the meat. Pour the uncooked pasta and spaghetti sauce into the skillet with the meat and stir well to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil. (Depending on your skillet size, it might be easier to mix all of this in your pasta pot instead of your skillet, I'm just sayin').
4. Pour half of the pasta-meat-sauce mixture in the baking dish. Spread with cottage cheese in an even layer and sprinkle half the shredded cheese. Spread the remaining pasta-meat-sauce mixture of the shredded cheese, and top with the remaining shredded cheese.
5. Cover with foil and bake for about 25 minutes, until the casserole is hot and the cheese is bubbling. Let it stand for about 5 minutes to firm up before serving. Voila!
Submitted by Kim Hansen